Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hudson River Shipping News 2/17/13

Morro Bay southbound at Poughkeepsie

Early this afternoon my AIS reported the 140-foot Coast Guard Icebreaker Morro Bay making haste southbound on the Hudson River and she had already passed Rogers Point and rounded Crum Elbow.  In a flash I bundled up, jumped on my bike and within five minutes sped out onto Walkway Over the Hudson where I was buffeted by 25 to 40 mph wind gusts and sub freezing temperatures.

Fortunately Morro Bay was trucking so I didn't have long to wait.  The north wind howled making the bridge sing and even blew my bike off its kickstand as I made these photos.







Here is some additional information about the Morro Bay. 
http://www.uscg.mil/tcyorktown/info/History/Cutters/morrobay.asp

This evening as I write Kirby's Lincoln Sea and Hornbeck's Liberty Service are passing northbound at Poughkeepsie.  And I see the Zachery Reinauer anchored off Port Ewen with several ships, Maersk Illinois, Ebroborg, and Saimaagracht and the tug Meredith Reinauer berthed at the Port of Albany.

I plan to set out before dawn tomorrow with temperatures forecast at 11 degrees to make some late winter icy river photos of these vessels.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. jeff . . . glad to see this. cheers
    will

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blog is a great idea. Great photos, especially the one with the reflection of the bridge. Look forward to following future entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's about time I started documenting my tugspotting.

      Delete